TN Association of Museums Scholarships
Since 2003, Humanities Tennessee has offered a scholarship program for the Tennessee Association of Museums’ (TAM) annual conference held every March. This initiative stems from our commitment to provide opportunities for professional and organizational development of Tennessee’s museums and their humanities programming.
The scholarships are available to volunteers without museum-related backgrounds who work for a nonprofit museum or organization that is starting a museum, and that has no paid professional staff. Each scholarship provides two nights lodging and conference registration fees for up to two people from each applicant organization.
Since 2003, 291 individuals from 111 organizationsacross the state have attended the TAM conference with this scholarship. Once introduced to the museum community by this program, many organizations remain TAM members and continue to attend each year without a scholarship.
The following thirteen volunteers received scholarships for the 2018 conference:
- Conneye Albright & Minnie Bommer, Assoc. for the Preservation of African American History & Culture-Tipton Co., Covington
- Elizabeth & Sam Tinsley, Big Black Creek Historical Association, Denmark
- Ida Mae Coleman & Carrie Mae Parker, Dunbar Carver Museum, Brownsville
- Fred Corley, Granville Museum
- Henrietta Caldwell & Nicolce Cain Smith, Green McAdoo Cultural Organization, Clinton
- Jim & Kay Blalock, Pleasant Hill Historical Society
- Wanda Grissom & Beverly Sweat, Promise Land Heritage Association, Charlotte
Each scholarship covers two nights lodging at the conference hotel, registration fees, and conference meals and evening events.
The scholarship program is announced each January, with an application deadline each February.
For questions about the program please contact Melissa Davis at Humanities Tennessee by phone, 615-770-0006, ext. 8016, or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about TAM, please contact Debbie Shaw, TAM coordinator, by phone, 615-495-3354, or email, email@example.com