How You Can Support the Arts in Tennessee
Posted On: March 16, 2023
Did you know 80% of TN arts grants that reach every county in the state are funded by the specialty license plate program? This program was created in the 1980s to provide a dedicated revenue source to fund arts and culture organizations and programs throughout Tennessee. It has become a model for other states, providing financial support and visibility for the arts.
“To encourage literature and the arts is a duty which every good citizen owes to his country.” ~George Washington
Why Purchase a Specialty Plate?
- Because the arts are an important economic driver in Tennessee
- Because the arts create jobs, encourage tourism, and attract new business
- Because the arts provide educational activities for schools in urban and rural areas
- Because arts education improves students’ social skills, motivation, and self esteem
- Because the arts have a positive impact on health for people of all ages
How to Get Your Specialty Plate?
Just take your old plate to your county clerk’s office and swap it. Your tag fees will be prorated so you don’t have to wait until your renewal date. You can also personalize your plate for an additional fee. Be sure to tell a friend and encourage them to choose a TN Arts Commission arts plate. This simple action will help communities across Tennessee.
Humanities Tennessee is a grant recipient of partnership support from the Tennessee Arts Commission which helps fund literary programs serving Tennesseans.