2022 Southern Festival of Books Volunteer Signup
Please fill out the signup form below. We will email you with further details and duties as we assign them.
SFB Volunteer Job DescriptionsSee Details
- Author Signing Facilitator: This activity is great for a first-time volunteer or someone who is efficient and enjoys working in both slow- and fast-paced environments, as author signings come in waves. Responsibilities: Every author comes to sign books after his or her session for at least 30 minutes in the Author Signing Colonnade. Volunteers ensure that each author has found his or her assigned table and that they have working pens with which to sign. You will also be responsible for politely cutting off authors’ signing lines after 30 minutes if the author wishes. There are more than 200 authors on the Festival program throughout the weekend and usually 10-15 authors signing simultaneously all hours of the Festival. Shift time is approximately 3 hours.
- Beer Garden Server: This position is perfect for an over-the-age-of-21 people-person who appreciates different styles of beer. As a volunteer, you will check ID, serve and sell beer. Report to staff with any issues that may arise. Approximate shift is 3 hours.
- Greeter: Help greet Festival guests and answer basic questions. Provide information about hand sanitizing stations and distribute masks for the health and safety of all attendees.
- Hands-On Helper: This position is ideal for someone who appreciates behind-the-scenes work. Responsibilities: Assist exhibitors load/unload and be on-call for staff during crucial set-up and tear-down times. This shift will likely involve standing, moving, and lifting.
- Merch Sales/Information Desk: Help the Humanities Tennessee staff sell Festival merchandise and provide information to visitors. This activity is great for an enthusiastic, people-person. Responsibilities: Assist Festival goers in finding the desired merchandise including t-shirt sizes and styles. Keep all merchandise straightened, organized, and visually appealing throughout the shift. Because merchandise is sold in the Festival headquarters tent, people will approach you with Festival questions ranging from general site questions to specific scheduling questions. Staff members will always be on-hand to help. Cash register experience is great, but not required. Shift time is approximately 3 hours.
- Poster Distribution: This activity is perfect for someone who wants to be involved in promoting the Festival in his or her area. A few months before the Festival we will mail posters to you to distribute or you may pick them up at our office. Responsibilities: Find community-minded businesses, community centers, schools, etc. that will allow you to place Festival posters in their windows or on their walls. Our goal is to promote the Festival throughout the Mid-South region. The time commitment varies depending on involvement.